Copycat Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli Soup
Makes 8 heaping servings
1 C ditalini pasta, uncooked
1 lb Italian sausage
2 T EVOO, divided
1 C carrots, grated or cubed – about 2 medium
1 C celery, diced (we chop ours pretty small)
3/4 C yellow onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
3 (8oz) cans of tomato sauce
3 C beef broth
1 C water
1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 T granulated sugar
2 T basil, minced
1 t dried oregano
3/4 t dried thyme
1/2 t dried marjoram
salt and pepper to taste
1 (15oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15oz) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
Italian cheese blend for sprinkling
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pot over medium high heat and cook Italian Sausage through until crumbled and there’s no pink. Pour onto a paper towel lined plate to drain and set aside.
2. In the same pot, add another tablespoon of oil and keep heat a little above medium. Add onion carrots, and celery, and cook until translucent. Then toss in garlic. Saute another minute.
3. Reduce heat to low, then add in tomato sauce, beef broth, water, canned tomatoes, sugar, basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram, cooked sausage, and salt & pepper. Cover with lid and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. While soup is simmering, cook pasta according to directions on package. Drain.
5. To the soup, add cooked pasta, kidney and great northern beans, and cook 5 minutes longer to heat everything through. Serve warm with grated Italian cheese blend.
Recipe adapted from: Cooking Classy