Fresh Blackberry Pork Salad
makes 4 servings
cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 package of arugula & spinach
shredded pepper jack cheese
*1 batch of slow cooker pulled pork
*pulled pork ingredients:
3 T light brown sugar
2 t hot paprika
1 t mustard powder
1/2 t ground cumin
salt and pepper
3-4 lb boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat
2 t vegetable oil
1/2 C apple cider vinegar
2 T tomato paste
1. 8 hours ahead, prepare your pulled pork: combine 1 T brown sugar, paprika, mustard powder, cumin, 2 t salt and 1/2 t pepper in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture all over the thawed raw pork.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet. Add the pork and cook, turning, until browned on all sides – about 5 minutes. If oil gets too hot and starts to pop, be careful, and turn the heat down slightly. Remove the pork and transfer to a plate.
3. Whisk 3/4 C of water into the pan drippings in the skillet, then transfer the liquid to your 5-6 quart slow cooker. Add vinegar, tomato paste, the remaining 2 T brown sugar, and 2 C of water to slow cooker. Whisk to combine, Add the pork, cover with lid, and cook on low for 8 hours. No peeking!
4. Time to plate. Lay out 4 dinner plates. On each plate, lay out a heaping bed of greens. Sprinkle with a few blackberries, tomatoes, almonds, green onions, and some freshly grated pepper jack.
5. Remove pork from slow cooker, and pull apart with two forks. Add a lovely portion of pork to each plate. Serve with dressing of your choosing (as I’ve said before, we usually have our salads dry as a bone).