Wanna throw something like this together, but don’t have any cans of “Cream of…” soups on hand? OR, do you or someone in your family HAVE TO HAVE food WITHOUT MSG in it? Coonsider this, or consider using part of this recipe to make something else along this line…
As far as I’m aware, this ‘wasn’t an actual recipe’… until now. I had sliced turkey on hand and that was my ‘starting point’. No store-bought canned soup is needed/used, but the butter in the ‘sauce’ does add calories/fat. You can trim calories by using non-fat milk, and eliminating the cheese. OR,…if you prefer, you could use low-fat store bought ‘Cream of ….’ soups. Since I used turkey meat in this one, Cream of Chicken soup would have gone well.
- 2 cups spaghetti noodles, cooked according to directions
- 3/4 – 1 lb. deli-turkey slices, cut into 3/4″ pieces (could use cubed turkey or chicken or browned hamburger or ???)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 and 1/2 cups low-fat or non-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated or cut into small cubes
- 1 of 15 oz. can green beans, or carrots, or vegetable of your choice (optional)
- While you are preparing the other ingredients, cook spaghetti noodles according to directions on the package (perhaps a minute less), drain.
- Slice/cube meat or fry ground beef.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in the flour. Stir until completely smooth.
- Using a whisk, slowly but steadily add the milk. Add salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Whisk until very smooth.
- Abandon whisk and switch to using a flat-edged spatula and, stirring constantly and watching it carefully, cook butter/flour/milk mixture until it is thick and boiling.
- Boil for a minimum of 2 minutes to ‘cook the flour’
- Add the meat to this ‘soup substitute’.
- Pour the above mixture over cooked spaghetti noodles and stir well to evenly coat.
- Add cheese (optional) and stir in.
- Add vegetables (optional)
Pour all into a ‘non-stick sprayed’ 3 quart casserole dish. Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes. Uncover and ‘brown top’ for another 10 minutes.
Source Recipe: http://milkmaidrecipebox.blogspot.com