The Mansaf is considered the most famous meal in Jordan and Palestine. It is the national dish of Jordan, while it’s a popular dish in Palestine. Mansaf is mainly cooked in weddings. It is distinguished from other types of Arab cooking by using jameed which is made from milk after converted into yogurt. Mansaf consists of lamb, rice and jameed liquid.
Yogurt: 2 kilo ((Jameed soaked in cold water for at least 24 hours))
Rice: 1 kilo (Medium-grain soaked for 15 minutes in warm water)
Lamb meat: 2 km (cooked with the following spices: 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and 3 leaves of bay laurel)
Almonds: 1/2 cup (roasted)
Pine: 1/2 cup (roasted)
Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
Bay laurel: 3 leaves
Vegetable oil: 3 tbsp
Margarine: 2 tbsp
Shrak bread: 2 loaf
1. Yogurt sauce: Add 2 cups of the boiled meat broth to the yogurt and mix. Boil the mixture under medium heat with continuous stirring. It is very importat to keep stirring in order to keep the consistency of the sauce thick and smooth. Stirring can be stopped when the whole mix starts bubbling.
2. Add boiled meat to the yogurt and let it cook for 30 minutes.
3. Rice preparation: In a pot, melt the vegetable oil and margarine on medium heat then add rice stirring from time to time for 7 minutes.
4. Add turmeric and some salt.
5. Add 3 cups of meat broth to the rice. Keep it on high heat until most of the water evaporates. Cook on low heat until done.
6. How to serve mansaf: Arrange the shrak bread on a large serving tray. Add 1/2 cup of the yoghurt sauce to the bread to soften.
7. Arrange the rice over the shrak bread.
8. Arrange the meat over the rice.
9. Sprinkle the almonds and pine over the rice
10. Pour the yogurt sauce into a big serving bowl with a serving spoon. Add sauce onto the rice and the meat. Enjoy this delicious meal with your family and friends.