PREP: 5 MINS | COOK: 15 MINS | SERVES: 8
Shawarma is one of the most popular street foods, and especially so in the Middle East. My beef shawarma recipe is an easy one you can make at home. The key is to tenderize the meat with lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and warm Mediterranean spices. And the end result is juicy, flavorful beef for a sandwich or wrap!
AUTHOR: YUMNA JAWAD
2 lbs lean sirloin, cut into strips
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup vinegar
Juice of two lemons (plus zest)
2 Tbsp Shawarma seasoning
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, minced
1/2 cup Tahini paste
Juice of 2 lemons
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup water
¼ tsp salt
6 Large pita breads
Roma tomatoes, sliced
Red onion, sliced
Flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- To make the marinade, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, shawarma seasoning and garlic until well combined in a large bowl. Add the sirloin steak strips to the bowl and toss to fully coat the beef. with the marinade. Let it sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour, preferably a few hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, add the onion slices and lemon slices, if desired, then transfer to a bottom-heavy pot and bring the mixture to a boil on high heat. Turn the heat to a simmer and allow to cook for 15 minutes.
- To make the tahini sauce, place all the ingredients together in a food processor and blend until well combined.
- To assemble the pita, place the beef shawarma on the pita bread, top with the vegetables of choice, drizzle the tahini sauce on top and roll up.
- Marinade: It’s important to marinade this for at least one hour so it can allow the beef to become tender and succulent. You can marinade it up to 2-3 days in advance actually and the long the better.