Last week I made Quinoa Breakfast Cereal and made a double portion of quinoa. I used the second portion of quinoa cooked with Almond Milk and water in a few sweeter recipes as I have been only exploring quinoa in savory dishes. These moist and chewy muffins pair well with fruit or yogurt for breakfast. You can serve the muffins warm with or without butter, chia jam, or nut butter. The muffins are great at room temperature for a breakfast on the go or a snack during the day. Enjoy this breakfast muffin recipe as part of your YogaLean lifestyle.
1.5 Cups Cooked Quinoa (I cooked the quinoa using Almond milk as my liquid)
1 Cup Milk of Choice (I use Almond Milk)
1 Cup Honey or Agave
2 Cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-1 Baking Flour
2 TSP Baking Soda
1/2 TSP Salt
1/4 Cup Bob’s Red Mill Flaxseed Meal
1 Cup Dried Fruit – see below
2 TSP Flavoring/Spices – see below
*In these muffins you can use a combination of dried fruits and flavorings.
I made mine with dates a almond flavoring. Here are a few options:
· Dates + Almond or Vanilla or Maple
· Figs + Almond
· Apricot + Almond or Coconut
· Cherry + Vanilla
· Raisin + Cinnamon
· Apple + Maple
· Cranberry + Pumpkin Pie Spice
**Adding 1 cup of diced nuts is optional.
Instructions: PREHEAT the oven to 350 Degrees.
· Combine the wet ingredients in a mixing bowl.
· Add in the dry ingredients and mix until blended. There MAY be some lumps.
· Line muffin tins with muffin paper/skirts or spray with coconut or olive oil
· Add muffin batter to just under the top of the pan
· Bake about 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the top of the LARGEST muffin comes out clean
· Place cooled muffins in an airtight container.
NOTE: You can make a smaller muffin by reducing batter and filling the well half full. The larger muffin creates a larger “muffin top” which many people enjoy.