This is a quick, healthy and delicious recipe for those who are in hurry and on the otherwise don’t want to compromise on serving healthy food to family.
Appam also called Paniyaram is a popular south Indian breakfast recipe made with suji / rawa with veggies of your choice. These soft and melt in mouth dumplings are too delicious and my family’s favorite.
I like to pack these in kids school lunch box as it remains soft for longer time and can be enjoyed even at room temperature.
1 cup suji / Rawa / Semolina
1/2 cup curd
3/4 cup water
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 medium sized chopped onion
1 medium sized chopped tomatoes
some freshly chopped coriander leaves
oil for greasing
1 tsp oil / ghee
1/2 tsp mustard seeds (Rai)
few curry leaves
1. Mix suji, curd, salt. Mix well. Add water.
2. Add onion and freshly chopped coriander leaves.
3. Make tempering heating oil, add mustard seeds, let it splutter, add curry leaves. Pour this in batter.
4. Keep batter aside for 15-30 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes, add chopped tomatoes or if using any other vegetable.
6. Grease appe pan with oil.
7. Add baking soda just before pouring batter.
8. Fill in the appe cavity with batter.
9. Cover the pan and cook on low flame for 3-5 minutes
10. Once brown flip and cook uncovered from the other side too.
11. Remove and serve hot with chutney or sauce.
12. I like to pack it in kids school lunch box.
13. Or enjoy in breakfast.
1. I ADD TOMATOES JUST BEFORE COOKING OTHERWISE IT RELEASES ALL THE WATER.
2. TEMPERING IS OPTIONAL, IT JUST ADD EXTRA TASTE.
1. Mix suji, curd and salt.
2. Add water and mix well.
3. Add chopped onion.
4. Make tempering of raii and mustard seeds. This step is optional.
5. Pour tempering in batter.
6. Add freshly chopped coriander leaves.
7. Cover and keep aside.
8. After 30 minutes add chopped tomatoes.
9. Mix well.
10. Just before cooking add soda.
11. Mix well.
12. Grease appe pan with oil.
13. Fill in all the cavity.
14. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
15. Flip and cook from the other side.
16. Pack in kids school lunch box.
17. And I like to have it in breakfast.