1 cup tuar dal / arhar dal
4 cups of water
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ginger-garlic
2 large finely chopped onions
4 large finely chopped tomatoes or grated tomatoes
3 tbsp tomato sauce (optional)
1 chopped carrot
3-4 sliced baby-corns
1/4 cup chopped beans
1/4 cup boiled american corn
1/4 cup peas
1 small chopped beetroot
1/4 cup tamarind chutney (optional)
2 tsp sambhar masala (I used MDH)
2 tsp coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi powder)
1 tsp kasuri meethi
salt and red chilli to taste
some curry leaves
Add 1 cup dal with 4 glasses of water, salt and turmeric powder in cooker and give one whistle. Keep aside and let it de-pressurise naturally.
In a pan, add a teaspoon of ghee, roast cumin seeds add chopped vegetables except for American corn and cover and cook on low flame for 5-10 minutes or till vegetables are just cooked, don’t let it turn overcooked or it will become mushy in dal.
Heat oil in pan, add mustard seeds, let it splutter, add chopped onions, ginger-garlic, curry leaves and cook till golden in colour, add chopped tomatoes and all the spices (salt, coriander powder, sambhar masala, turmeric powder, garam masala). Add tomato sauce and some water. Cover and cook till tomatoes become soft and mushy. Mash tomatoes with the back of spoon to give a nice texture.
Cook for another 5 minutes till masala releases oil. Add cooked vegetables and boiled corn, mix well. Add boiled dal. Mix well. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add tamarind chutney and crushed kasuri meethi. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
Serve hot with idli, vada or with rice.
1. You can add vegetables of your choice, one can omit or add extra vegetable of own choice.
2. If running out of time ,can cook vegetables in cooker, with some water, till one whistle on high flame.
3. Vegetables cooked in pan, have better taste and texture.
4. You can substitute tamarind chutney with amchoor powder.
1. Cook 1 cup dal in 4 cups of water with salt and turmeric powder. Keep aside.
2. Cook vegetables of your choice either in pressure cooker or in pan.
2. Heat some oil, add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
3. Add ginger-garlic.
4. Some chopped onion.
4. Once golden in colour add chopped or grated tomatoes.
5. Add spices.
6. Mix well.
7. Add tomato sauce.
8. Little water.
9. Cover and cook.
10. Mash masala well with the help of spoon.
11. Add boiled vegetables.
12. And dal.
13. Tamarind chutney. Some kasuri meethi. Simmer for 5 minutes.
14. Serve hot.